Tuesday 1 January 2013

Seeing in the new year - with a fox.

My name is Wendy and I am using this blog to make notes about the wildlife I and others encounter near my home in Uckfield, Sussex in England.

The new year starts with one of my more embarrassing wildlife encounters. I frightened a fox. I didn't mean to. It just happened.  It was just after midnight on New Year's day and I was standing on the front path washing down others' celebration fireworks with a glass of champagne. Fireworks were going off left, right and centre. All sorts of sounds, shapes and colours.  In the odd pauses, I could hear the church bells ringing in the new year. Then a fox sauntered round the hedge, apparently unfazed by the noise and activity. Until he saw me. Then he fled across the garden and into the holly bush as if the hounds of hell were chasing him. The sight of me in my nightwear has that affect on people.

Later in the day - and somewhat more suitably dressed, I spent some time tidying the garden.  There is a fine line between a wildlife-friendly garden and chaos. Right now, ours is perilously close to that line.  I left the seedheads for the birds but cleared old stalks and debris. As a reward I found some early primroses. The name translates as "first flower", which is rather apt for this new year treat.

1 comment: