Sunday 6 January 2013

Exit left pursued by .... ?

In the day our garden belongs to people. We plant flowers and trees, mow the lawns, trim the hedges and pause to admire the results of our efforts. As the light fades and we draw the curtains, the late shift begins. The garden is now owned by the creatures of the night. Often the morning brings foot or hoof prints, a nibbled plant here or some poo there. It's very intriguing and at the same time a little frustrating. Unless the creatures are considerate enough to walk in front of the window when I'm awake and looking out, I can't see what is happening.

Because I was such a good girl last year, Santa brought me a trail camera. I haven't really had a chance to play with it yet because of the incessant rain. Last night was the first time I felt that I could put it out without it getting drowned.  

 Exit left, pursued by a ???

I've got so much to learn about using this type of camera and this set of pictures was spoilt by shiny holly leaves reflecting infrared light back into the camera.  Next time I use it, I will take more care about tidying unwanted leaves.  That said, I'm now able to start building up a record of our night visitors. The first set of images show a fox disappearing behind the holly bush and, a couple of minutes later, fleeing.  I don't know what startled it - but I do know that I can now start to uncover the secrets of our night garden.

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see what visitors you get.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know we get deer and I'm hoping for a badger. I'm quite excited by this little project.

      Delete