Monday 20 June 2016

#30DaysWild Using my senses

I've been taking part in the Wildlife Trusts' #30DaysWild challenge and have found that really using my senses is becoming a habit. I've been seeing, hearing, smelling, touching and tasting nature all around me.  

I had just spent a few days working in Birmingham and, in my spare time, had explored the area around the office and hotel. Walking back through Uckfield, I was pleased to see that East Sussex Highways had mown just the edge of grassy bank alongside Southview Drive leaving the Spotted Orchids and other flowers to thrive.

On Friday the 17th and Saturday I was just snatching sensations as I rushed by but I spent much of Sunday working in the garden immersed in nature.

Day 17 - Touch

Finding Pine Cones in my jacket pocket.
I put my hand in my jacket pocket to get my work pass out and touched the rough, knobby surface of a pine cone I had collected while in Birmingham.  There is something very #30DaysWild about finding a pine cone in your pocket!

My letter on the right-hand side of the page.
I was pleased that the Sussex Express had published my letter about mowing the grass verges.

Day 18 - Sight

Campanula and Beech Hedge.
As I rushed into town, I enjoyed seeing the intricate patterns made by campanula around the feet of a beech hedge.  While I photographed it, I could hear rooks calling and the distant sound of drumming as Spiritus practiced for a local event.

Day 19 - Sound, Scent and Taste

Listening to the hum of bees on a cotoneaster bush.
Just before I crossed the road to get my paper, a loud hum attracted my attention. Dozens of bumblebees were feasting on the tiny blooms of a Cotoneaster plant.

Herbs and other scented flowers in the garden.
I spent the morning gardening and, while tidying herbs in the sundial bed, I disturbed a tiny frog. Once I had finished my hands smelt of lavender, thyme and wild marjoram.

Tiny alpine strawberries.
When I finished, I rewarded myself with the taste of sweet, tiny alpine strawberries that have spread themselves throughout the garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment