Saturday 6 April 2013

Spring - rebooting?

In my post I wrote on the 10th of March, I said:

Give or take some forecasted snow and sub-zero temperatures, spring seems to have become an unstoppable force in the Uckfield area. The number of flowers blooming in the garden has increased from a few shy snowdrops to a cascade of daffodils, primroses, hellebores and so many more.

The frogs had spawned and leaf buds were fattening. Then we had the blackthorn winter and everything stopped or went into reverse.

Nearly a month on spring seems to be trying to reboot. This morning there is white frost on the grass but the sun is out. The yellow forsythia buds beginning show colour. Usually this shrub would be in full bloom at the end of February or beginning of March. Round Manor Park I've seen several clumps of sweet violet flowers, their intense purple flowers singing out against the still drab looking grass.

Sweet Violets



Best of all, yesterday afternoon I saw a blue tit inspecting the box. I was a little anxious to see one by itself. Had it's mate died in the cold? But soon enough it was back, with a friend.

The annual cycle seems to be picking up all round. Yesterday, at Uckfield's farmers market I bought some snowdrops "in the green".  This is the best way to plant them, when they have just finished flowering and before they have shrunk back into their bulbs. If you have big clumps already, you can dig some up and move them. Suddenly, I'm feeling enthusiastic about being outside again and looking forward to planting my little treasures.

So, how about you? Have you got any favourite signs of spring?


No comments:

Post a Comment