Monday 2 January 2023

New Year Plant Hunt 2023 - Uckfield North

2022 weather was a real rollercoaster with a drought, then incessant rain and, just before Christmas, hard frosts and snow and the Met Office has concluded it was the hottest year on record. So when I did the 2023 BSBI New Year Plant hunt I expected to find very few species in flower compared to previous years. Sure enough, this year, I found 22 species in bloom, much fewer than the 36 to 46 I found in each of the previous 3 years

Number of species vs Year.

For most of the species that I did find, there were far fewer plants in flower - for example, I usually expect to see Yarrow (Achillea millefolium) in flower in several places during my hunt, whereas this time I found just one.

Daisy (Bellis perennis) - Manor Park
My first find was at the front of next door-but-one's garden - a Daisy (Bellis perennis) battered, but enough to get me going.
Ivy (Hedera helix) - Manor Park
As I made my way through the estate, I found a variety of little weeds in bloom as well as Ivy (Hedera helix). 
Winter Heliotrope (Petasites fragrans) - London Road
The Winter Heliotrope (Petasites fragrans) on London Road had obligingly come into bloom in time for the hunt.
Wendy Tagg with Yellow Corydalis (Corydalis lutea) - High Street
The old walls at the top of the town are usually quite productive. However there were no flowers on the usually reliable Trailing Bellflower (Campanula poscharskyana) and there were just two little flowers on the Yellow Corydalis (Corydalis lutea).
Gorse (Ulex europaeus) - Bellbrook industrial estate
On the Bellbrook industrial estate the Gorse (Ulex europaeus) near the river Uck gave a nice splash of yellow.  

Alder (Alnus glutinosa) - Bellbrook industrial estate
Once again, I found red Alder (Alnus glutinosa) catkins lengthened and showing pollen. Trying to get a photo of them was a challenge as they danced in the breeze way above my head.

Ivy-leaved Toadflax (Cymbalaria Muralis) - Bellbrook industrial estate
There very few herbaceous plants in bloom but I found a Creeping Buttercup (Ranunculus Repens) in the sheltered spot behind the Barny's Playbarn sign and an Ivy-leaved Toadflax (Cymbalaria Muralis) tucked behind a wall.

Hazel (Corylus avellana) dancing over the River Uck
I meandered down to the river, where it is bridged by the High Street and found fully lengthened catkins catching the sunlight over the river. 
Dandelion (Taraxacum officinale) - Southview Drive
After noting the Hazel (Corylus avellana), I headed home via Lime Tree Avenue, where I found some Cow Parsley (Anthriscus sylvestris) with sorry-looking flowers. A quick inspection of the base of a South-facing wall in Southview drive yielded a Dandelion (Taraxacum officinale) and some Yarrow (Achillea millefolium).

Species found in bloom - wildflowers



Species found in Bloom - Naturalised

These are the garden plants that have 'jumped the garden fence'.










No comments:

Post a Comment