Sunday 28 June 2020

BSBI Garden Wildflower Hunt - 5th Survey

Another 3 weeks - and a vist by the man with the lawn mower (sorry) - have sped by and it is time for another survey.

Selfheal (Prunella vulgaris) making itself at home in the border.
Last time it was all about grasses and the pea flowers such as Birds-Foot Trefoil and White Clover. As June progressed, the sprinkling of White Clover has been joined by the rich purple of Selfheal (Prunella vulgaris), which has also spread into the borders.

Broad-leaved willowherb (Epilobium montanum)
Willowherbs started appearing a few weeks ago. Last time, I was able to identify one and now Hoary Willowherb (Epilobium parviflorum) and Broad-leaved willowherb (Epilobium montanum) are mature enough to identify.  Their more glamorous relation, Large-Flowered Evening Primrose (Oenothera glazioviana) has self-sown near our front hedge.

Crested Dog's Tail (Cynosurus cristatus
Much to my surprise, I found a Crested Dog's Tail (Cynosurus cristatus) grass in a rough area not far from the compost heap.  I can only suppose it is because our first visit from the gardener was much later than usual due to the lockdown.

Canary Grass (Phalaris canariensis)
I also found Canary Grass (Phalaris canariensis), which may have been from bird seed spillage.

The remaining new entries include Vervain (Valerian officinalis), which first arrived some years ago and has popped up randomly ever since. We introduced Reflexed Stonecrop (Sedum rupestre) and Common Meadow Rue (Thalictrum flavum) ourselves.

Two of my favourite deliberate introductions have started flowering and attracting pollinators.

Wild Carrot (Daucus carota sspn carota)
Field Scabious (Knautia arvensis)
I sprinkled Wild Carrot (Daucus carota sspn carota) seed that I collected in Leatherhead and the Field Scabious (Knautia arvensis) I bought in as tiny plug plants some years ago.


Combining my five counts, I have recorded 103 wildflowers of which:

  • 75 probably occurred naturally in our garden
  • 28 were sown or planted.




No comments:

Post a Comment