Saturday 25 April 2020

BSBI Garden Wildflower Hunt - 2nd Survey

It's two weeks since I did the first BSBI Garden Wildflower Hunt. Then I found 48 wild flowers (including trees, grasses and ferns).  Since then, the weather has been fine and dry, causing the Spring to race forward.

English Bluebell (Hyacinthoides non-scripta)
In my first survey, the Bluebells (Hyacinthoides non-scripta) were just beginning to come out. Now they are fully out and some are beginning to fade before we have even reached May.

Bugle (Ajuga repans) and Thyme leaved speedwell (Veronica serpyllifolia)
I haven't been mowing the grass on the slope so the previously inconspicuous wisps of Thyme leaved speedwell (Veronica serpyllifolia) have filled the grass with tiny white flowers.

Hairy-footed flower bee on Bugle (Ajuga repans
After some indecision, I decided that our Bugle (Ajuga repans) was a wild plant rather than the darker-leaved garden variety that we introduced. As you can see from the photo is popular with bees.

Cuckoo flowers (Cardamine pratensis)
A number of spring flowers such as Cuckoo flowers (Cardamine pratensis) and Hawthorn (Crataegus monogyna) had gone from tight buds to full flower.

Field Forget-me-not (Myosotis arvensis)
The Field Forget-me-nots (Myosotis arvensis) had progressed even faster, going from insignificant bunches of leaves to full flower in just a fortnight.

Welsh Poppy (Meconopsis cambrica)
Other plants that had made dramatic progress in the two weeks included Welsh Poppies (Meconopsis cambrica), whose ancestors came from seeds given to us by a neighbour.

Grasses and Sedges
I also found a number of grasses including Sweet Vernal Grass (Anthoxanthum odoratum) and Meadow Foxtail (Meadow foxtail).

Combining my two counts, I found 65 wildflowers of which:

  • 50 probably occurred naturally in our garden
  • 15 were sown or planted.

No comments:

Post a Comment