Saturday 14 December 2019

A wonderful Autumn for fungi

This wet autumn has seen a bumper crop of fungi, with many appearing in places where I had never seen them before. When I say fungi, I really mean the fruiting bodies. They grow from the mycellium, which is a network of fungal threads from which the fruiting bodies grows, is present all year round.

BEWARE: The following have not been formally verified yet.

This year, it started to rain in September and seemed to keep going through October and November. Flushes of fungi soon followed.

Earth ball, Manor Park, 10 Aug 2019
The first to appear include the Boletales such as Earthballs (Scleroderma citrinum).

Sulphur Tuft, West Park Nature Reserve, 05 Oct 2019
These are followed by "toadstool" shaped fungi. On one of the Uckfield Nature Reserve Supporters walks, we saw several different types such as the Sulphur Tufts (Hypholoma fasciculare) shown above.

Magpie Inkcap, West Park, 06 Oct 2019
We also found inkcaps such as the Magpie Inkcap (Coprinopsis picacea).

Fly Agaric, Manor Park, 13 Oct 2019
Closer to home, near a birch, I was amazed to see Fly Agarics (Amanita muscaria). I had never seen them in that particular place before.

Parasol, Buxted Park, 26 Oct 2019
Towards the end of the month, a Parkrun took me into grassy habitats where I saw large Parasols (Macrolepiota procera) including the three above.

Club, Manor Park, 06 Nov 2019
The weather had been too wet for our gardener to mow the lawn and some fungi such as this Apricot Club (Clavulinopsis luteoalba) had time to grow.

Oysterling, West Park, 24 Nov 2019
As the colder weather rolled in and the fallen leaves began to rot down, the bigger "toadstools" mostly disappeared but, during a Uckfield Nature Reserves Supporters walk, we noticed that a variety of small fungi and large brackets were taking their place. We found the tiny Oysterling (Crepidotus epibryus) above on a leaf.

Common Birds Nest, West Park, 24 Nov 2019
We also found my first ever Common Birds Nest fungi (Crucibulum laeve). The spores are contained in the tiny eggs, which are splashed out of the nest by raindrops.

Clouded Funnel, West Park, 24 Nov 2019
One of the few bigger fungi still present was the frost resistant Clouded Funnel (Clitocybe nebularis).

Southern Bracket, Buxted Park, 09 Nov 2019
Brackets such as the Southern Bracket (Ganoderma australe) also persist in the increasingly cold weather.

Crystal Brain Fungus, Manor Park, 01 Dec 2019
The recent winds have blown quite a few branches down. When I picked this one up, I got a rather unpleasant surprise as I found myself clutching something very squishy!  It is Crystal Brain Fungus (Exidia nucleata), whose translucent blobs have solid white dots in - much like frogspawn on a stick!

I've put away my books and camera for a while, but I can confidently say that I have never seen such a wonderful variety of fungi.

No comments:

Post a Comment