|Two regular visitors - sadly the dark buck hasn't visited since 6th August 2015.|
How many visits in 2015?
- Fox visits peaked in March/April - there were regular encounters between two individuals, maybe the youngsters we saw last year.
- We had badger visits through late spring, summer and autumn
- The fallow deer came in Spring, August and December.
How does this compare to previous years?
- Fox visits are up by about half c.f. 2014 although we had far fewer visits in the latter part of the year. We are seeing more occasions when there are two foxes in the garden.
- Badger visits are up by about a quarter.
- Deer visits are down. This may be due to us removing a tree at the end of May 2014 and/or the possible loss of one of the regular visiting males.
- In all three years that I have been recording, there is a dip in the number of fox visits in May - perhaps due to the birth of cubs.
- Badgers are always absent for a period in winter, when they are dormant:
- 2013 - November to January (2014)
- 2014 - October to April (2015)
- 2015 - November to ?
- Fallow deer are:
- absent at the beginning of the year first appearing in March (2015) and April (2013/4)
- appear at various times during the late spring and summer months
- absent for part of the autumn around October, presumably for the rut
- often return in December enabling me to make predictable Rudolf jokes.