Saturday 8 February 2014

Lime Aid - Sunshine and Slime Moulds

We had another work day at Lime Tree Avenue. This is the second of three work days. I made some notes on the first in Lime Aid - A great stressbuster. The next will be on Saturday the 8th of March, starting at 9am. After last month's unrelenting rain it was soggy underfoot but sunny for a while.  

The photos below show the first of two trees that I trimmed and tidied. 


Lime tree - before and after.
While I was shifting fallen twigs to the back of the strip where the trees grow, I found a twig with white Jelly-like blobs. The leader of the group, Martyn Stenning explained that this was likely to be a slime mould.


Slime mould on a fallen twig.
I don't know which species it is but it is similar to the false puffball

While I was working round this tree, a gentleman told me that vehicles used to be able to drive along the avenue.  I asked a question about this in the Facebook group: Memories of Uckfield. Thank you to Donna, Sandra, Jo, Sally, Claire and Joanne, who contributed memories about Lime Tree Avenue. Between them, they:
  • originally led up to Uckfield House
  • explained that you could drive from Hempstead Lane up to the front entrance of the school, which was where the leisure centre is now
  • added some lovely details on subjects ranging from pilgrims to cross-country runs.
When doing my second tree, I found myself wading through a sea of young alexanders plants, already knee high. Last year's stems show that the adult plants will be a bit taller than me.


Alexanders.
I wasn't quite finished when I heard the rattle of hail stones. Happily, I was protected by the big old tree and they couldn't sting me. However the wind was getting stronger and gustier so we stopped.  


Primroses.
One last treat was the slight of primroses as I left the avenue to do a little shopping down the town.

No comments:

Post a Comment